ETA: We've received several responses - thank you, everyone! It will probably take a couple of days to get everyone up to speed, but I'm hoping to be able to get back to a regular schedule next week!
As you may have noticed, the Sunnydale Herald has been under-staffed for quite awhile. To make a long story short, audela
and I are the only current active editors. I’ve just been in contact with menomegirl
, who is taking a hiatus from fandom due to a family emergency. She’s made me co-mod of the Herald for the duration. She will continue to do the Twitter posts, and once her personal situation has resolved, we hope to see her back.
Buffy fandom is smaller now than it was in the Herald’s heyday. But not so small that two people are capable of keeping up with everything it puts out on a daily basis. I’m not going to beat around the bush: audela
and I cannot handle this job alone indefinitely.
We have several options:
- This heartfelt plea produces a slew of new editor applications. The Herald is back to full strength again, posting six days a week, and everyone is happy! Yay!
- This heartfelt plea produces one or two new editor applications. We drop down to a condensed posting schedule of three or four days a week. Everyone is a little happy but a little sad. Yay?
- This heartfelt plea produces bupkiss. Audela and I keep posting for a while, but inevitably we burn out, go mad, and rampage through LJ leaving a trail of 502 errors in our wake. The Herald shuts down. No more Herald. Everyone is sad, boo!
Obviously I’m rooting for Option 1, but I can work with Option 2. Putting together an edition of the Herald can take anywhere from one to three hours, depending on the number of links and the time since the last edition came out. The more people we have working on it, the less time it will take for any one editor.
So what are the requirements for being an editor?
- Be willing to read/skim anything, regardless of pairing, kink, or comma abuse. You do NOT have to link everything, but be willing to at least check it out. In the past we've gotten way more flak for leaving stuff out than putting stuff in.
- One night a week, sit down and go over the Herald’s reading list and/or your own friends list, looking for stories, vids, meta, or news articles relating to BtVS, AtS, or fandom in general. You can also check out AO3, Fanfiction.net or other outside archives if you like. Copy the links into the handy dandy template we will provide you with. Post that template to the Herald communities on Livejournal, Dreamwidth, and Buffyworld.com
The Herald’s been a part of Buffy fandom on Livejournal for a long time. I’d like to see it continue as a part of fandom for a long time to come. A smaller fandom means a smaller pool of potential volunteers, but I’m hoping that there are four people out there reading this who are willing to splash around in that pool. I’ll be honest, it's not a glamorous job, you don't get a lot of thanks, and it’s not for everyone. But if you’ve ever wanted to give something back to fandom, but are basically a lurker? This is the job for you.
If you're interested, please send me an email at rahirah at cox dot net, message me through LJ, or drop a comment onto this post. (Comments will be screened.)